Thursday, March 5, 2009

Caution: Not for the Faint of Heart...or Stomach

OK, first of all this is a picture that I took at work today. This is NOT my charting station! I want that clarified now.

What you do need to know, is that the clerk in the ER is the MOST important person in the ER. They keep us straight, they answer the never-ending ringing of the phones, there are 3 right next to her desk and then another 5 in the immediate vicinity. The clerk tells us where to go, what is coming in, they have a bazillion phone numbers memorized...in short they are amazing and we can not function without them.
Well, because they are so busy, they rarely, if ever get a break. Today was one of those days, heart attack, seizure, kidney stone and that was just in less than 30 minutes.
Well, our dear clerk is doing her amazing super-power clerking, we are yelling orders at her, phones are ringing and she's cool as a cucumber.....I look over at her desk at notice something that sorta made me cringe.....
On the left of the desk is 4 vials of blood and a urine sample. On the right of her desk is lunch....meatloaf, mashed potatoes and veggies.

I love our quirky clerks. They are efficient. I don't love urine samples and meatloaf....I'm not sure I'll get over this image soon.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! I loved working with you guys. Thanks for letting me ride on the ambulance. My fellow students were all jealous. :-)

Kim said...

I LOVE the pic. It made me laugh! Why weren't the sample in any Bio Hazzard bags? Maybe she took the Clorox wipes to the specimens before handling her food. Or again not!

I love this post, I love it when are aides are able to clerk for us, but those days are few and far between.

Again, GREAT post!

Kirsten said...

That's hilarious! Good laugh!

What would we all do without you ER nurses?! I remember bringing Daniel in when he was about 9 months old and you and Nita were the only 2, out of 4, I think, nurses that actually found his vein and got the IV in. We had a 'lovely' hospital stay for about 24 hours with a dehydrated, sick baby. I just remember being on the verge of tears(coming from a tired, 3am, no sleep, mom), the other 2 nurses couldn't get a vein, then you and Nita walk in and saved the day! (Or, very early morning) Blood viles, meatloaf, whatever, you guys are ALL great!

Kristina P. said...

We have drug test cups here, as I work at a facility for adolescent substance abusers, and no one wanted to even touch the clean ones!!

Hilary said...

Yeah, that's yucky....

wendy said...

YIKES - that would not be a good idea for me as I tend to "zone" out and I'd forget what I was puting in my mouth!!!!!!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love new bloggy friends.

wendy said...

and p.s. ---It is fun to find bloggers who are closer to my age. I have 5 kids too and 10 grandkids.

Jan said...

Oh my goodness. What a visual. Do people see this too? Sick. I am going to hurl some meatloaf now. Seriously. It is all so "vile".

Couldn't resist.

chelle said...

I am so excited you signed up for my photo giveaway. I am going through Rexburg in June. Hope you win. I went to Ricks, back when it really was Ricks. LOL

Do you know Kris and Kip Hartvigsen? I know it is a big town, but just thought I would ask. They are dear friends. m

Pattie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
chelle said...

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I am so screaming with happiness! If you ever see them, tell Chris and Kip "Hi" from Mechelle Felsted. Pullman Washington (they'll know me).

Kris was my YW leader and Kip is just such a great guy. Just love them. So much.

I would love to do a shoot of your family in June. We can talk after the give away, maybe you will win!

Thanks for writing back and telling me about the Hartvigsen. That just made my day. ;0)

Becca's Creative Jewelry Design said...

Well just in case you are wondering if that clerk is Rebecca.....those of you who know me, would surely know that I would never have such a gross picture of urine and blood in my space around my desk, let alone around my food I am eating. Soooo it could only be one person that we all know brings the mints everyday??? What a all tooo familiar day glad I was'nt there!!!

g.suzie said...

Thank heavens for ER people that can stomach things that ordinary folks would be totally 'wigged' out over. . .My stomach churned just thinking about the situation!

Angela said...

Hi... you left a comment on my blog about food storage. Can you send me your email address and I will send you they details that I have. Email me at angbrimwil@gmail.com
thanks
Angela

Jeppesens said...

I love that picture. It reminds me of the good old ER. I miss you guys!! Urine, food, blood, AH all in a days or nights work!!