Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Guess what I've been doing????

While I'm doing it I hate it, it's tiring work, exhausting work, messy work. BUT, when it's done, it's a beautiful thing.

I woke up this morning needing to can the beans that I picked yesterday. So I started boiling jars. Then after I got the beans in the pressure cooker, I decided to can the Christmas Pickles that have been sitting in brine for the past week and a half. Then I wondered how the cucumbers were doing out in the garden. Shouldn't have wondered. They are prolific! So I picked a sink full of cukes and then about 16 huge onions and brought them into the house and started washing and slicing. All the while I'm running up and down the stairs to the "canning" kitchen to keep stuff processing.

When it was all said and done, I have 13 1/2 pints of Christmas Pickles, 11 more pints of green beans, and 20 pints of bread and butter pickles. Ah, the sweet sound of the "ping" of a jar sealing.





Ya, I LOVE canning season!

2 comments:

MZ said...

Tauna I am exhausted just reading this. What a Martha you are.

Tara said...

Wow! You have done a lot of canning, I bet you've just begun though!?