Thursday, January 15, 2009

A fun surprise!

Last Saturday I received a phone call about 10:00 in the morning. "Hi, is this the Egans?" "Yes, it is" "My name is Bishop so-and-so I'm the bishop from the Jackson, TN ward. I'm the bishop for the ward that Cameron is serving". Wow, I couldn't decide if I should be happy or scared....wondering if he had been injured or maimed in some horrible fashion (mother and ER nurse....bad combination). He went on to explain that Elder Egan was fine. He said that he was here dropping his daughter off at school and would be leaving early in the morning to drive back to Tennessee. Did I have anything I would like to send back with him for Elder Egan????? YA!!!! He told me he had plenty of room and I could send as much as I wanted......I'm not sure he really understood what he was saying!

So I spent the next few hours baking cookies and getting other goodies. He got 2 containers of Nestles chocolate milk mix, 2 loaves of Harpers bread...he loves it, 4 jars of homemade salsa, 2 jars of homemade spaghetti sauce, 4 containers of frozen strawberry jam, large box of potatoes, and a "few" other things. It ended up being 4 large boxes that I sent with that poor bishop. What a fun treat for me!

It was fun to visit with him about his ward, it comprises 75 miles of interstate, I can't even imagine. He was very nice. I loaded him up with left over chocolates and sent him with some homemade salsa and cookies too.

Anyway, it was a wonderful gesture and he didn't seem to bat an eye when I started hauling four boxes out!

Awesome bishop!!!! Made my day!

5 comments:

Michael & Wendy Mecham said...

That is so awesome! What a great comfort to know that your son is in good hands while he is away. I know that your "bishop & bishop's wife" are the same way and would do the same thing! Please let him know that we don't sit in the front of our new ward. The two little ones cause way too much noise for that.

Becca's Creative Jewelry Design said...

I was so excited to hear that you got to get all that fun stuff together for Elder Egan, I'm sure when the Bishop got abck and gave the stuff to Cameron you can just see (that smile he does) on his face, and oh what a unbelievable small world it is!! Thanks for being a great friend.

g.suzie said...

Sounds like Elder Egan won't have to go to the grocery store for a couple of months now!. . .He's set with manna from 'Bishop E.'s store house'. . .You are a good mom! &
1st Lady:)

Tara said...

Wow!!! What a small world! How cool & crazy is that!

Only Girl said...

How exciting!!! That was way nice of him!!! And what could be better than a little well in your case a TON of things sent from mom!! Moms are the best!!!