Monday, August 11, 2014

26 HOURS!!!!!

After my little Southern Belle Gigi dropped me off at the airport I went to my gate and waited to get to Phase 2 of this getaway.
And then it started to rain. 
Not like cats and dogs rain. 

More like elephants. 

After 3 or 4 delays they finally cancelled the flight. 
This was the stampede to reschedule. 


I got rescheduled to fly out the next day. 
At 1:30 in the afternoon. 


I called Howie panicked. 
He is also traveling for work.  
He said to catch a shuttle and go to a hotel. 
My daughter told me to rent a car and drive to Pensacola. 

I couldn't. 

The thought of doing the whole get back to the airport thing was more than I could  cope with. 
And no way was I going to drive.

I live I Idaho. 

Nothing more than two lanes on the interstate. 

Besides there were no cars to rent. 

So I stayed. 

And wandered. 
Thank goodness for my blanket. 
"Travis Griffis you saved me"

Thank goodness for my pillow. 
And my floor covering. 
In the morning I attempted to get on 2 different  flights on standby. 

No go. 

So after 26 hours in Atlanta's airport 
And an hour on the Tarmac I finally got in the air. 
If I ever see that airport again it will be too soon. 

And then finally.....

I have never swam in the ocean until this moment. 

I have found bliss. 


RoeH said...

I'd have just bedded down on the floor someplace also. I hate airports when things like that happen. And there's nothing you can do. Nothing. Horrors!! Glad you're safe somewhere now. When do you get back to Idaho? You will kiss the ground when you touch down. When I visit my daughter in DC, that just about what I do when I get back to Phoenix. Because Mesa seems like a ghost town compared to all of that mess in DC.

Kerin said...

Wow! You are so brave!!
I am glad that you were able to find a place to wait out the delayed flight, and catch another one.

SO glad you made it safe and sound.
Enjoy, and best wishes for safe travels, and 'on-time' travels home :)

Deb said...

I feel for you. I am not a great fan of flying and this is one reason why. Glad you finally got to where you were going. What an adventure. Have a good week and safe travels home.

Julia said...

What an unsettling experience to be stuck at an airport in a large city. I'm not a great fan of flying either as anything can happen. Many gets bumped off their flights because they did not confirmed by internet the night before their flights even though it'd paid for by credit card.

I'm glad that you could get to where you had planned.
Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Safe return home.

StitchinByTheLake said...

While being stuck at an airport is the pits there are a few redeeming features about them - they always have a chapel somewhere and they always have food, although it costs a fortune. :) blessings, marlene

Debby@Just Breathe said...

My husband travels for work and the delay's and rescheduling are now an everyday affair. It is very frustrating. So sorry you had to wait so long but it appears you have waited your whole lifetime to swim in the ocean so after the 26 hour wait it was even more special!

gigi said...

You were the best guest ever! How wonderful it was to have you in our home. You lifted my spirits and got me out of the house. I enjoy being a tour guide :) Please come again! Bring Howard and we will send the guys out deep sea fishing.

Betty said...

To really enjoy the good, you have to endure 26 hours of bad, right? Okay. I agree. NO WAY!
I'm glad you made it outta there and straight into the ocean. It's a magical place, isn't it?

Saimi said...

Oh my Golly, what an ordeal but glad you made it safe and sound!! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!

Gary and Cortney said...

You'll have to see that airport when you come back next year! This needs to be a yearly girls trip!! And trust me- you don't want to fly through Houston!!