Monday, September 21, 2015

CAN-tastic DAY

Today was a day to use up the rest of the garden produce. 
I canned Beef Stew
Beef Stew
5# red potatoes, diced
5# carrots, diced
5# corn (I used frozen corn)
V-8 Juice original (it took about four large bottles)

Season the stew meat with Lawrys season salt, garlic salt and pepper, add a little flour and toss in the stew meat.  

Stuff quart jars with stew mixture. Pour in V-8 juice to within an inch of the rim. 
Process in pressure canner for 90 minutes at 15 pounds of pressure. 
Yields about 26 quarts. 

Then I made my Grandmother Fullmer's recipe for Chili Sauce. 
The smells in the house reminded me of my grandma and my mother as they would make this every year. 

I thought about them all day. 

It was a good day. 

Grandma's Chili Sauce
8 quarts ripe tomatoes, skinned
3 C onions , chopped fine
3 C green peppers, chopped fine
1 C apple cider vinegar
3 C sugar 

In a spice bag:
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ginger
6 Tbsp salt

Put the spice bag in the tomato mixture and simmer for 3 hours until thickened. 
Pour into 1/2 pints jars. Process in water bath canner for 10 minutes. 

Yield about 25 1/2 pints. 




7 comments:

Julia said...

A CAN-tastic DAY indeed... I've never canned stew before but my mother used to can meat. I think it's fantastic to have canned stew on hand. It will come in handy when you need a hot meal in a hurry for those cooler days ahead... You have quite a large production going on here.

I hope that you have a fantastic day too.
Hugs,
JB

Momza said...

Wow! Your TALENTS will feed many for months!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm so impressed and those recipes sound yummy!

Barb said...

You are amazing!! I want to can beef stew, now I have the recipe, thank you!! I can just imagine how wonderful your kitchen must have smelled!!

Valerie said...

That's a lot of work! How great that you get to all enjoy your hard work for a long time to come. I don't can at all so I don't have that privilege. :)

Deb said...

Wow looks delicious! hanks for sharing your recipes. Someday, I want to learn to do this. Have a great weekend.

Maggie and Pooh said...

Where do you find the time to make all the yummy things that you do. Hard work but well worth all you put into it. I have not canned anything in years. Enjoy all that good food this winter. Hugs