Monday, December 14, 2020

AND JUST LIKE THAT....

 And just like that it’s Christmas time. 

I don’t know how to describe this year. It’s has been a long slow slogging through it. 

Life has changed until it feels like normal.

Covid. Pandemic. Masks. Essential workers. Words and terms I hadn’t thought of last year are now spoken multiple times a day. 

My job in the ER didn’t stop. 

And unfortunately our county has been on the news for the hotspot of the nation. 
Nothing to brag about here. 
It’s been exhausting. 

But I am thankful for fabulous coworkers that make the day bearable. 

Thanksgiving came and went. 
We gathered. 
We questioned whether to or not. 
The only risky person was me and I had tested negative the week before. 
I vacillate between safety and sanity. 
Being so afraid of dying that you forget to live. 
So we gathered. 
So thankful for this photo of all of my grandkids. 
I know that these will be harder and harder as the years go by. 

Howie has recovered from all of his knee surgeries. 
Sheesh. 
What a year. 

And now we are in this beautiful Christmas season. 
We have been busy making candy and doing just a little decorating. 


Howie helped a ton this year. 
He made all four batches of caramel. 
I also made my mom’s cherry cordials.
They are so much work but so delicious. 

Dipped cinnamon Santa’s are my kids favorite. 

I call these triple nut. 
Cashews, macadamia and almonds in caramel. 
These will get dipped in chocolate. 

Cherry Cordials. 


Simple tree. 

The view outside my living room window looks like a post card. 
Often there will be a herd of deer in the field. 
I love it so much here and am so thankful that 4 years ago we made the move. 

And of course during this time I also remember four years ago during this time that Howie had his cardiac arrest and was saved by bystander CPR and early defibrillation. 
We spent a long 14 days in the hospital. That will go down as my favorite Christmas ever. 

In spite of the chaos this year has been I have seen blessings all around me. 

I look forward to the future. 
I look forward to celebrating the birth of the Savior of the World. 

Merry  Christmas. 

5 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Good to see you back in blogland. So glad you are all well and that your husband has recovered from his knee surgeries. So good to hear that you are well and have avoided COVID. Thanks for your service on the front lines. Truly, you and those who work with you are heroes. I remember four years ago when you posted about your husband's medical emergency, and the next Christmas, three years ago, my husband was in the hospital after suffering a brain aneurysm. You and I are both married to miracle men. God is so good. Have a very Merry Christmas!

Julia said...

Wow! What a year it has been. I'm glad that Howie, your miracle man is all healed from his knee surgeries. Your candy making ability is amazing. That's a lot of candy. It all looks so yummy and I wish I was closer to sample a few. lol...
You have a nice crop of grandkids, what a lovely family picture They will be all grown before you know it.

People like you, are heroes and are to be commended for their bravery and dedication. It can't be easy what you do every day especially at this time of Covid-19.

Stay safe and well. I wish you a Merry Christmas with family.
Hugs, Julia

jen said...

This made me miss my Grandma so much. She was a professional candy dipper at a candy factory, and she had the best technique and recipes--especially her cherries. I miss her a lot this time of year. I'm so glad your family gets to enjoy the love that goes into such confections. Merry Christmas!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm glad you gathered. We did not gather. Love the photo. Adam, Gabby and James had been exposed to Covid and all is week. Their quarantine was over before Thanksgiving but they always celebrate with her family and her BIL was the one who exposed them. We went to Arizona to spend six night's with Mark's sister and her partner. We had a wonderful time. It's a 5 hour drive and they are isolated like we are so we felt it would be safe and it was. Our son in law who is a nurse in Montana recently became ill but tested negative for Covid. However his mother who live here in CA is in the hospital with it now. I'm so glad Howie is all done with his knee surgery. I tell his story often. Unbelievable! Hooray for your candy. YUM! When is my box arriving. I lost my dad in April and could not go to say my goodbye's. We lost our sweet little dog Skye in September when we were visiting Amber and Dylan in Montana. I hate this year yet I am thankful for the blessings we have received. We are able to social distance with Adam, Gabby and James each weekend and it is wonderful. I'm not decorating much this year. Just not feeling it but some of the spirit is coming back as I put some items out and listen to Christmas music. God Bless you and your family. Stay well....

Momza's House said...

Beauty in every thing: your service in the ER, your mountain views, grandkids, husband's health and traditions of Christmas and candy-making. You make it all look so easy. Merry Christmas and stay healthy!